Stieglitz St. Petersburg State Academy of Art and Industry is one of the most prestigious art universities not only in Russia, but also in Europe and all across the world.
The history of the Academy started in 1876 when at the direction of Alexander II and due to money granted by Baron Alexander L. Stieglitz (1814-1884) the Central College for Technical Drawing was established.
Until the Russian Revolution of 1917 the Academy had been intensively developing and forming.
In 1918 the college was reorganized into Petrograd State Art and Industry Workshops which in 1922 were transformed into the College for architectural finishing of buildings.
In 1945 according to the governmental decision the School was revived this time as a polytechnic institute preparing specialists of monumental, decorative and applied and industrial arts. In 1948 it becomes the Leningrad Academy of Art and Industry. In 1953 it was named after the people’s artist of the USSR Vera Mukhina.
In 1994 Mukhina Leningrad Academy of Art and Industry was renamed the St. Petersburg State Academy of Art and Industry.
In December, 2006 the Academy was named after baron Alexander L.Stieglitz, the new name of the Academy is Stieglitz St. Petersburg State Academy of Art and Industry.
At present time there are 220 teachers and 1500 students.
There are three faculties: faculty for decorative and applied arts, faculty of monumental arts and faculty of design.
In 2004 the Academy was accredited (No 347, October 28th, 2004) and took out the license (А No 161011 August 2nd, 2004) for on-site educational activities by seven degrees: Painting, Graphics, Fine Art History and Theory, Monumental-Decorative Art, Design and Interior Art. Besides these, the Academy offers post-graduate studies and professional training courses for specialists, and preparatory courses for school leavers.
The Academy cooperates with art universities and associations from Germany, China, the Netherlands, Finland, etc.
The Academy President is Alexey Talashchuk, People’s Artist of Russia, correspondent member of the Russian Academy of Arts.Back to list